Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Part II, As Promised

In my last post, I said I'd comment on "Why Americans Do Science Shows Badly" - so here goes......

As a society, we suffer from "nerd" syndrome.  People who enjoy science and technology are "different", and not in a complimentary sense of the word.  This isn't news to anyone, but I think the view from the other side is what most people don't think about.

Most people with a technical or scientific bent think that people who aren't like them are dumb.  That's why we have "Dummies" books for "the rest of us".  As an example, I give you Mr. David Pogue.

If you aren't aware of who he is, he does some Popular Science-type series on PBS.  At about the 6th grade level.  While I salute his attempts at scientific education, I find the man unwatchable.  The shows remind me of what might ensue if you gave some 11 year old boys a garage full of lab equipment on a rainy Saturday afternoon and then left for a few hours.

Everything has to blow up, and the simplest reactions/experiments have to be "WOW'ed" and ooh-ed and aah-ed over.   It dumbs things down to the point you feel stupid for even wanting to watch.

By contrast, I give you Mr. James May, from across the pond in the UK.  His series "Man Lab", while not hardcore science, takes a much sillier premise and makes it pretty entertaining.  And all done in a mature, understated English manner.  I have to say I've actually learned something from James May, while I can't even bear David Pogue long enough to see what he's trying to get at.

So there you have it, educators of the world.  Everyone except you is NOT an idiot, so quit trying to take science news back to the 7th grade level where things have to be dumbed down so "you'll get it".

Somewhere between the boring science teachers of our youth and the childish antics of a nerd attempting to be cool is the way to reach your audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment