Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Two Brains

That's right - the two complete brains, not just right and left!  I seem to have to do a complete exchange since I have a hard time shifting between modes.  Assuming these modes exist for all of us.
I've been spending too much time in the touchy-feely writers world lately, and need to get something more concrete pounded into my head.  I realized this while reading the Deitel book last night.  When I read a narrative story, the flow of the story allows you to really "skim" through the words.  You don't have to digest each one to get the gist of what is going on.
Technical stuff isn't like that, which has been my downfall in the past.  You really need to chew on each word to get the meaning.  The first chapters of the Deitel book are mainly syntax, and very confusing to me at first glance.  But once you get past that, the rest of the book is a little more fluid in control structures and descriptions of objects, etc.
Because there really isn't any way to string syntax descriptions into a storyline, or flow smoothly from one to the other.  They are naturally disjointed - you just need to internalize them and use that knowledge to build on later.

No comments:

Post a Comment